Exercise Shakti and IK Onkar
What’s in news?
Air India has depicted Sikh religious symbol ‘Ik Onkar’ on the tail of one of its aircraft.
- Air India has depicted Sikh religious symbol ‘Ik Onkar’ on the tail of one of its aircraft to mark 550th birth anniversary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji.
- “Ik Onkar” means that “God is One or One God” i.e., it is the symbol that represents the unity of God in Sikhism.
- The flight is to be set to flight from Amristar to UK on October 31 to spreads India’s message of “one god” around the world.
- The symbol is an emblem of the Sikh religion and is found on Gurdwaras (Sikh temples) around the world.
- The sysmbol is a combination of two characters, the numeral ੧, Ikk (one) and the first letter of the word Onkar (Constant taken to mean God).
- It is found in the Gurmukhi script.
News in recent:
Air India had also paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary by creating an outline of Bapu’s sketch on Air India 320 aircraft.
About Sri Guru Nanak Dev:
- His Period: 1469 – 1539
- He is the first of the ten Sikh Gurus.
- The Guru Granth Sahib, the holy text of Sikhism, which contains the words of Guru Nanak in the form of 974 poetic hymns.
What’s in news?
“Exercise Shakti – 2019” is the joint military exercise between India and France army troops.
- The exercise was planned between October 31 to November 13.
- Aim: To enhance, understand, cooperate and inter-operability between the Indian and French army armies.
- Location: Foreign Training Node at Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Rajasthan.
- Focus area and Purpose: Counter-terror operations in the backdrop of semi-desert terrain, high degree of physical fitness, sharing of drill at tactical level and learning of best practices from each other.
- Representatives: The exercise was represented by;
- Indian representatives: Sikh Regiment of Sapta Shakti Command.
- French representatives: 21st Marine Infantry Regiment of 6th Armoured Brigade.
- Commenced and practicing since 2011.
- It’s a biennial exercise and is conducted alternately in India and France. Exercise Shakti-2018 was conducted in Eastern France.
Links to note: