EX EASTERN BRIDGE and US-Turkey Agreement
EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V
What’s in news?
A joint Air Force Exercise was started and scheduled from 17-26 Oct 19, at Air Force Base Masirah.
- The Air Force Exercise was between the countries India and Oman.
- Participants: Indian Air Force and Royal Air Force Oman (RAFO).
- IAF comprised with MiG-29 and C-17 aircraft.
- MiG-29 fighter aircraft will be participating in an International Exercise outside India and this is the first incidence.
- Targets: To promote professional interaction, exchange of experience and operational knowledge and to promote professional interaction, exchange of experience and operational knowledge.
- The last exercise, EX EASTERN BRIDGE-IV was held in 2017 at Jamnagar.
NEW US-TURKEY AGREEMENT
What’s in news?
The US-Turkey agreed to a five-day cease-fire in the Northern Syria to allow for a Kurdish withdrawal from a security zone.
- After more than four hours of negotiations the two countries have come to an agreement on a ceasefire in northern Syria to allow Kurdish-led forces to withdraw.
- US Vice President Mike Pence said the purpose of his high-level mission was to end the bloodshed caused by Turkey’s invasion of Syria and remained silent on whether the agreement amounted to another abandonment of the US’s former Kurdish allies in the fight against the Islamic State.
- All skirmishes would be halted for five days and the United States will help in facilitating the withdrawal of Kurdish-led soldiers from Turkey’s declared “safe zone” on the border.
- 72 Kurdish civilians killed since the beginning of the Turkish military operation on Northern Syria.
- 1000 Syrian civilians crossed into Iraq’s Kurdish region.
- 400000 people in and around predominantly Kurdish city of Hasakeh at critical risk of water shortage.
Who are Kurds?
- Kurds are an Iranian ethnic group native to a mountainous region of Western Asiaknown as Kurdistan.
- Majority of Kurds belong to the Shafi‘i school of Sunni Islam but significant numbers practise Shia Islam and Alevism, while some are adherents of Yarsanism, Yazidism, Zoroastrianism and Christianity
Links to note: