Ease of doing business and Panchayat Award
EASE OF DOING BUSINESS REPORT – 2020
What’s in news?
India has moved 14 places in the World Bank’s ease of doing business ranking which was released recently by the World Bank.
- Ease of Doing Business Report – 2020 was released by the World Bank.
- Among 190 nations, India increased 14 places and secure a rank of 63.
- In Previous year – 2019, India was in 77th place.
- Improving 14 places makes the country as one of the world’s top 10 most improved countries for the third consecutive time.
- India’s ranking has improved 79 places from 142 in 2014 to 63 in 2019. This records our country as a major economy.
- The improvement in ranking is because of the multiple economic reforms by the Narendra Modi government.
- The report assess improvement in ease of doing business environment in Delhi and Mumbai.
- India’s rank in various categories:
- Resolving insolvency – 52nd (A jump from 108th rank in previous year)
- Dealing with Construction Permits – 27th rank (From 52nd rank)
- Trading across Borders – 68th rank (From 80th rank)
- Registering Property – 154th rank (from 166th rank)
- Protecting minority investors – 13th rank (From 7th rank)
- Getting electricity – 25th rank (From 22nd rank)
- As per this Index, the number of reorganizations in India has been gradually increasing.
- Top 10 improver countries: Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Togo, Bahrain, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Kuwait, China, India, and Nigeria.
Additional data to know:
- In recently released Global Competitiveness Index, 2019 by the World Economic Forum, India slips 10 places to 68th position from 58th in 2018.
NATIONAL PANCHAYAT AWARDS, 2019
What’s in news?
National Panchayat Awards, 2019 was conferred by Minister of Panchayati Raj Shri Narendra Singh Tomar.
- 246 Awards were given to awardee Panchayats and States in various categories for their best performance at different levels, including the delivery of services.
- Aim of this award:
- To encourage the Panchayats for the use of information and communication technology.
- To incentivize those States/UTs, which have made dedicated efforts in adopting and implementing the e-Panchayat Applications and enabling electronic delivery of services through Panchayats & equivalent rural bodies.
- Among such 246 awards, the no. of awards conferred under the category of;
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar (DDUPSP) – 195 awards
- Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar – 20 GPs (Gram Panchayats)
- Gram Panchayat Development Plan Award – 3 GPs
- Child-Friendly Gram Panchayats Award – 22 GPs
- E-Panchayat Puraskar – 6 states
- A mobile application launched by the Minister Raj Shri Narendra Singh Tomar.
- The application is Geo-Spatial based decision support system for panchayats.
Links to note: