What’s in news?
India and Uzbekistan will carry out a joint military exercise ‘Dustlik-2019’ between November 4 to 13.
- This is the first-ever exercise between the armies of the two nations (India and Uzbekistan).
- Focus: Counter-Insurgency and Counter-Terrorist Operations in mountainous, rural and urban areas.
- Location: Chirchiq training area, Uzbekistan.
- The exercise being conducted as part of military diplomacy between the two nations.
- A 45-member from Indian Army contingent will participate during the historic exercise.
Focus areas of both countries:
- India: On Cordon and Search Operations, Room Intervention and Mobile Vehicle Check Post.
- Uzbekistan: On Tactical drills and Survival techniques in mountains and deserts.
- Defence minister Shri Rajnath Singh, visiting Uzbekistan on November 1 to attend the SCO meeting.
- He will also have a meeting with Uzbekistan’s defence minister.
- Both leaders will discuss on the following matters;
- Military education and Cooperation
- Military medicine.
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO):
- It is also known as “Shanghai Pact”.
- It is a permanent intergovernmental international organisation.
- Aim: To strengthen the exchange and cooperation in the field of mass media amongst SCO countries.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China.
- Established year: 2001 – Came into effect since 2003.
- Founding members: Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- Full time members: Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan. India and Pakistan have got the membership in 2017.
- Observer status: Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia.
- Dialogue partners: Sri Lanka, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Cambodia and Nepal.
- Last SCO Meeting: The member states has met in June at a conference in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan where they called for greater cooperation to tackle the threat of terrorism.
Importance of SCO’s membership for India:
- It will strengthen India’s position in Central Asia
- Greater access to major gas and oil exploration projects in Central Asia
- Greater cooperation in dealing with terrorism as well as on issues relating to security and defence in the region.
- A platform for India to engage Pakistan in a wider regional setting & help boost anti-terrorism cooperation.
Links to note: