AP DISHA ACT, 2019
What’s in news?
The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Disha Bill, 2019.
The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Disha Bill, 2019 (Andhra Pradesh Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 2019).
Key provisions of the bill:
- Time period: The bill mentioned some time period for few activities. They are as follows;
- 7 days – for completing the investigation.
- 14 days – for completing the trail.
- 21 days – for providing the judgement in the case. The time was reduced from the existing time period of 4 months.
- Punishment: The bill contains the provision for the punishment for those who involving in the rape, gang-rape activities.
- Death penalty – For those convicted under rape, gang-rape charges.
- Life imprisonment – For those convicted for sexual offences against children under POCSO Act 2012 and this includes Section 354 F and 354 G in IPC.
- 2 years imprisonment – For the person convicted for the first time for the charges of harassment of women through social or digital media. Four years of imprisonment for second and subsequent convictions. For this, a new Section 354 E (Harassment of Women) will be added in IPC, 1860.
- Special Court: ‘The Andhra Pradesh Special Court’ was get the nod for the establishment for Specified Offences Against Women and Children Act, 2019 with an intention of speedy trails and quicker justice. This special courts will be set up at every district, where the crimes against the children are high.
- The court will look into the cases of rape, gang rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, sexual harassment, and cases under POCSO Act, 2012.
- District Special Police Team: The government will constitute special police teams at the district level to be called District Special Police Team to be headed by DSP for investigation of offences related to women and children.
- Disha is the name given to a veterinarian who was raped and murdered in Hyderabad on November 27.
- Her body was found burnt near Shadnagar on the NH-44.
- The four accused were arrested and they were encountered when they tried to attack the police force.
- After the three days of this encounter scene, YS Jagan Mohan CM of Andhra Pradesh promised to table legislation in the ongoing assembly session to ensure stronger punishment and speedy disposal of cases, especially in cases of crimes against women.
Links to note: