INDIA – UZBEKISTAN DEAL
What’s in news?
Three pacts on cooperation in security ties were signed between India and Uzbekistan.
- India and Uzbekistan have inked three pacts on defence after a meeting between the defence ministers of the two countries.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh who is in Tashkent, attending Council of Heads and Governments (CHGs) of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- This was the first visit by an Indian defence minister to Uzbekistan in about 15 years.
- In September 2018, the then defence minister of Uzbekistan visit India and since then the enhanced level of defence engagement between India and Uzbekistan were satisfactory between two countries.
- This enhanced level of engagement is reflected in the
- First-ever meeting of the JWG on defence cooperation in February 2019,
- Visit of defence secretary of India in March 2019 and
- The first-ever Defence-Industry Workshop organised in Tashkent in September 2019.
- The first-ever video-link between College of Defence Management, Telangana, and Armed Forces Academy of Uzbekistan in Tashkent were exchanged.
- This would be based on higher level of mutual trust and respect between the two countries and on their shared views and approaches on a range of regional and international issues, including promoting regional stability and security and combatting extremism and terrorism
- India-Uzbekistan signed three MoUs in the field of Military Medicine and Military Education to further strengthen the Defence cooperation between both the countries.
- These three MoU’s are a byproduct of interactions emanating from the MoU on Military Education signed between the two countries in October 2018
- One of the agreements was signed in the field of Military Medicine.
- MoU were signed for the training and capacity building between institutes of higher military learning of the two countries.
In the coming days of this meeting, the discussions will further enhance their exchanges in this defence sector.
- The exercise is the first ever India-Uzbekistan joint exercise, will be conducted from November 4-13, 2019 in Tashkent.
- Focused area: Counter-terrorism.
- The Indian Army contingent will train along with Uzbekistan Army through sharing of best practices and experiences.
- The exercise will lead to greater operational effectiveness.
Defence deal, Defence deal
Links to note: