The Supreme Court on November 1, 2018 fixed December 15 as the deadline for filing of claims and objections by individuals excluded from the first draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) of Assam, published on July 30, 2018.
The bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Rohinton Nariman allowed claimants for Assam NRC to rely on five documents, which were earlier objected to by NRC coordinator, to prove their citizenship.
These five documents are:
1) Names in NRC, 1951
2) Names in Electoral Roll up to March 24, 1971
3) Citizenship Certificate and Refugee Registration Certificate
4) Certified copies of pre-1971 Electoral Roll, particularly, those issued by Tripura
5) Ration Card
- All these documents will be subjected to a thorough process of verification and would be accepted only after due and complete satisfaction of the genuineness.
- Earlier, the Supreme Court bench had earlier asked claimants to file their claims and objections within a period of 60 days starting from September 25.
- However, with the extension of the deadline, the court has set January 15, 2019 as the last date for the authorities to issue its notice. The verification of the documents will begin on February 1, 2019.
National Register of Citizens of Assam
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a list that contains names of Indian citizens of Assam.
- Assam, which had faced influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC, which was first prepared in 1951.
- The recently updated draft of the NRC includes the names of Indian citizens who have been residing in Assam before March 25, 1971.
First Draft of NRC
The first draft of the NRC for Assam was published on December 31, 2017 and it incorporated the names of 1.9 crore people out of the total 3.29 crore applicants.
The top court had earlier said that the claims of those citizens, whose names do not figure in the draft NRC for Assam published on December 31, 2017 would be scrutinised and included in the subsequent list, if found genuine.
Final Draft of NRC
The Assam government on July 30, 2018 released the second and final draft of the state’s National Register of Citizens (NRC).
As per the Draft, the total number of persons included in the list is 2,89,83,677 leaving a total of 40,70,707 as ineligible for inclusion. Out of 40,70,707 names, 37,59,630 names have been rejected and 2,48,077 names are kept on hold.