Cabinet approved renaming of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”
On November 1, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved renaming of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”.
- Veer Surendra Sai is a well-known freedom fighter of Odisha.
- This was done as per demand of the Odisha Government for giving tribute to the freedom fighter representing the state.
♦ Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik.
♦ Governor: Prof. Ganeshi Lal.
♦ Lakes : Chilika Lake, Kanjia Lake, Anshupa Lake, Balimela Reservoir.
♦ Dams: Rengali Dam, Kala dam, Pitamahal Dam, Kansbahal Dam, Tikhali Dam, Deras Dam, Salia Dam, Ghodahada Dam, Kuanria Dam.
♦ Festivals: Kalinga Mahotsav, Chandan Yatra, Durga Puja, Konark Dance Festival, Rath Yatra, Deepabali, Kumar Purnima.
Cabinet approved moving a Resolution in the ISA amending the Framework Agreement of the ISA for expanding ISA membership to United Nations member nations
On November 1, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved moving a Resolution for amendment in the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
This amendment would enable the Framework Agreement of the ISA for opening up the ISA membership to all countries that are members of the United Nations.
It will make ISA inclusive, whereby all member countries that are members of the United Nations could become member.
International Solar Alliance:
- Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana.
- Founded: Paris, France.
- International Solar Alliance (ISA), an alliance of 121 solar resource rich countriesthat was jointly launched by the Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi, and the then President of France, Mr. François Hollande, on November 30, 2015 in Paris, France. It was launched during the 21st Conference of Parties (CoP 21) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Till date, out of 121 prospective member countries, 70 countries have signed the Framework Agreement of the ISA. 44 of these countries have ratified the ISA treaty.
- Paris Agreement:Target of limiting global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius and striving for 1.5 degrees.
- Recently, Japan became the 71stISA member.
Cabinet approved Agreement between India and Morocco on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters
On November 1, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the Agreement between India and Morocco
- The MOU was based on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
- This will provide a broad legal framework for bilateral cooperation between India and Morocco in investigation and prosecution of crime, tracing, restraint etc.
- It will increase effectiveness in investigation and prosecution of crime and help in gaining better inputs and insights in the modus operandi of organized criminals and terrorists.
♦ Capital: Rabat.
♦ Currency: Moroccan dirham.
Cabinet approved 2 MoUs between India and the Russian Federation cooperation in transport education and in the field of railways
On November 1, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved two MOUs with Russia on 5th October, 2018.
The 2 MOUs are:
- MoU with the Ministry of Transport of the Russian federationfor the development of cooperation in transport education and
- MoC with the Joint Stock Company “Russian Railways” (RZD) on technical cooperation in the field of railways
The MOC involves:
- Implementation of the project for upgrading the Nagpur- Secunderabadsection to raise passenger trains speed up to 200 kmph,
- Implementation of a Single Traffic Control Center to manage mixed traffic at the regional level, divisional railway and/ or at the upper network level uniting all the IR’s zonal railways,
- Customization, organization of joint manufacture and implementation of a competitive signaling and interlocking system,
- Supply and localization of turnout switches for Semi High Speed and above,
- Training and advanced qualification improvement of Indian railway employees with the involvement of Russian railway-related higher education establishments,
- Best practices in Freight Cargo operations and
- Joint development of multi modal terminals in India.
♦ Capital: Moscow.
♦ Currency: Russian ruble.
Cabinet approved MoU between India and Korea for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism
On November 1, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Korea.
The MOU seeks cooperation in the field of Tourism.
The MOU involves:
- Bilateral cooperation,
- Exchanges in personnel and information,
- Cooperation between tourism stakeholders including Hotels and Tour Operators,
- Investment in the Tourism and Hospitality sectors,
- Exchange Visit for promotion of two-way tourism,
- Participation in travel fairs/exhibitions in each other’s country,
- Promoting safe, honorable and sustainable tourism.
South Korea is one of the leading tourist generating markets for India from East Asia.
♦ Capital: Seoul.
♦ Currency: South Korean won.