NEW BIO FORTIFIED WHEAT VARIETY
What’s in news?
A bio fortified durum wheat variety has been developed which shows high protein content.
- Developed by: The new bio fortified wheat variety has been developed by the Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune.
- Name: The new wheat variety is named as “MACS 4028”.
- Published in: The new discovery was published in the Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding.
- Unique quality: The new wheat variety has the following advantages;
- Has high protein content of about 14.7%
- Has better nutritional quality with Zinc (40.3 ppm) and Iron (46.1ppm) content
- Has a good milling quality
- Has an overall acceptability
- Notified by: The new variety was notified by the institutions like Central Sub-Committee on Crop Standards, Notification and Release of Varieties for Agricultural Crops (CVRC) for timely sown, rain fed condition of Peninsular Zone, comprising Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- Bio-fortified category tag: It has also given this variety a tag under the Bio fortified category during the year 2019 by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- The wheat variety also included by the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) programme for United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
About MACS 4028:
- Maturity period: The maturity period of the wheat variety is 102 days and stable yielding ability of 19.3 quintals per hectare.
- Resistant to diseases: It is a semi-dwarf wheat variety resistant to stem rust, leaf rust, foliar aphids, root aphids, and brown wheat mite.
About Agharkar Research Institute (ARI):
- Location: ARI, an autonomous institute located in Pune.
- Ministry: It functions under the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India.
Data to know:
The programme was included this wheat variety to alleviate malnutrition in a sustainable way and can boost the Vision 2022 “Kuposhan Mukt Bharat”, the National Nutrition Strategy.
Links to note: