SANGITA KALANIDHI AWARD
What’s in news?
Carnatic vocalist S Sowmya has been chosen for the prestigious Sangita Kalanidhi award instituted by The Music Academy.
- The academy announced the awards to honor artistes for their contribution to the world of art.
- Sangita Kalanidhi and the other awards will be conferred at the Sadas of the Music Festival to be held on January 1, 2020. And she will preside over 93rd annual conference of the Academy to be held between December 12, 2019, and January 1, 2020.
- The Nritya Kalanidhi award will be presented at the inauguration of the Dance Festival on January 3.
Who is S. Sowmya?
- Sowmya, an outstanding Carnatic vocalist and a disciple of Sangita Kalanidhi Dr S Ramanathan and Sangita Kala Acharya T Muktha, has been described by the academy as one of the foremost exponents of the Carnatic school.
- Sowmya, who is known for her intellectual approach to music, is part of the faculty of the prestigious Madras Music Academy’s Advanced School of Carnatic Music and is also part of the Academic Council of the Tamil Nadu Music and Fine Arts University.
Sangita Kalanidhi award:
- It is prestigious award/title bestowed annually upon expert of Carnatic Music by Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit which means treasure of Music and art in English (sangeetha = music, kala = art, nidhi = treasure).
- This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.
- Other awards
- Sangita Kala Acharya award: It will be awarded to Mridhangist.
- K. Awards: It will be given to veena players.
- Musicologist award.
- Nritiya Kalanidhi award: It will be awarded to veteran danseuse