ONLY 0.5% OF TEACHERS ATTEMPTED ONLINE EXAMS UNDER ARPIT SCHEME
What’s in news?
Out of targeted 13L Higher education Institutions teachers, only 5000 teachers were written the exams first-ever terminal exam that was held recently.
- MHRD had announced the Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) scheme in 2018 for online professional development of 1.5 million faculty of Higher Education Institutes (HEI) using the SWAYAM platform.
- As many as 75 National Resource Centres (NRCs)were established for developing online courses in different disciplines. However, only around 5000 teachers had registered for the first-ever terminal examination held on March 30, 2019, under the scheme.
- Maximum of, 2560 teachers were registered in Chemistry, out of which 946 appeared in the exam. Courses in some disciplines were not able to attract more than 10 teachers even. This is because of lack of awareness about ARPIT among the teachers.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) scheme:
- This scheme was launched by Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2018.
- It is a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres (NRCs) in the first phase.
- These instituted are tasked to prepare online training material with focus on latest developments in the discipline, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- In 2018, the inaugural year itself, the NRCs are expected to cater to around 13 lakh faculty of the total 15 lakh faculty in higher education.
- Under SWAYAMor Study Webs of Active –Learning for Young Aspiring Mindsprogramme comes under the Ministry of Human Resource and Development. Under this programme, professors and faculties of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs, central universities will offer online courses to citizens of India.
- SWAYAM is an instrument for self-actualisationproviding opportunities for a life-long learning. Here learner can choose from hundreds of courses, virtually every course that is taught at the university / college / school level and these shall be offered by best of the teachers in India and elsewhere.
- If a student is studying in any college, he/she can transfer the credits earned by taking these courses into their academic record. If you are, working or not working, in school or out of school, SWAYAM presents a unique educational opportunity to expand the horizons of knowledge.
- All courses would be offered free of cost under this programme however fees would be levied in case learner requires certificate.