BHARAT DYNAMICS LIMITED & AKASH MISSILE
What’s in news?
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), one of the leading Defence PSUs in the city, which is approaching its 50th anniversary, is tying up with international Defence manufacturing companies.
- BDL manufactures anti-tank guided missiles like MILAN-2T and Konkurs-M, surface-to-air missiles like Akash and underwater weapons like light and heavy torpedoes (Varunastra) among others.
- The Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), celebrating its golden jubilee this year, has orders worth ₹8,000 crore for making various missiles for the armed forces to be delivered within the next five years.
- As the Defence sector is BDL’s largest customer, BDL is engaged in the co-development programmes of the DRDO. These include QR SAM, Akash 1S, Akash NG, MPATGM, ASTRA and Sonobuoys.
- BDL heads claimed discussions are underway to acquire new technology by signing an MoU with M/s Thales, UK, for STARSTREAK missiles.
- As established in 1970, it began work with Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) SS11B1 under technical collaboration with Aerospatiale of France. It now works in partnership with the DRDO and armed forces in making the latest missile systems.
- BDL presently has three manufacturing units of which, two are located in Telangana, in Hyderabad and Bhanur and one in Visakhapatnam.
- The Akash missile is a nuclear capable, medium range (25 km and altitude range of 18,000 metres (18km)) missile that was developed as part of Integrated Guided-Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
- Other missiles under IGDMP are Nag, Agni, Trishul, and Prithvi
- The missile system was formally inducted into the Army on May 2015 and in the IAF on July 2015.
- It is a supersonic (Speed ranges from Mach 2.8 to 3.5) surface to air missile with multi-target engagement capability.
- It is capable in striking down enemy fighter jets and drones effectively.
- High-energy solid propellant for booster and ramjet-rocket propulsion for sustainer phase thus is said to be highly mobile.
- The different variants of Akash include Akash MK1, Akash-MK2.
SANGEET NATAK AKADEMI FELLOWSHIP
What’s in news?
The Sangeet Natak Akademi has named four eminent personalities in the field of performing arts, tabla virtuoso Zakir Hussain, dancer Sonal Mansingh, dancer and choreographer Jatin Goswami and Bharatnatyam exponent K. Kalyanasundaram Pillai – for the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellow or Akademi Ratna awards.
What is Sangeet Natak Akademi?
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi is India’s national academy for music, dance and drama, is the first National Academy of the arts set-up by the Republic of India. It was created by a resolution of Government of India.
- It was set up in 1952.
- The academy Renders advice and assistance to the government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programmes in the field. It carries a part of the responsibilities of the state for fostering cultural contacts between regions in the country, as well as between India and the world.
- The Akademi Awards are the highest national recognition conferred on eminent artistes.
- Each year the Academy awards Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships, Ratna Sadsya, to distinguished individuals for their contribution to the field of arts, music, dance and theatre.
Sangeet Natak Akademi Ratna:
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship, officially known as Sangeet Natak Akademi Ratna Sadasya, is an Indian honour for the performing arts presented by Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- It is “the most prestigious and rare honour” conferred by the Akademi and is restricted to 40 individuals at any given time.