ADOPTION OF VILLAGE
What’s in news?
Income Tax department adopt its first village.
- This is the action inspired from the Mahatma Gandhi’s words on Grama Swarajya., a senior Income Tax official R K Paliwal, Director General of Income Tax Department, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- He adopted a hamlet named as Gongular and held a mega health camp and said he would strive to make it a model village by ensuring all central and state government welfare schemes reaches citizens.
- Mettupalayam near Annur in the Coimbatore district has become the first village in the country to be adopted by the Income Tax Department.
- This is a first-of-its kind initiative in the village has already the government school children.
- They have started believing believing that they have got a bright future.
- The village would largely benefit from this adoption, the exercise would help the department undertake the taxing task of reinventing its image that has taken a drubbing over time.
- It was with the aim of bridging the chasm between the department and the public that the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Coimbatore.
- In the initial stage, government school students were taken under the wing. The department donated rs.40K worth sports equipment to the school to augment their extra-curricular activities, with the promise of uninterrupted supply of funds and equipment.
CLOSURE OF AIR ROUTES
What’s in news?
Pakistan has closed three aviation routes over Karachi from 28 August to 31 August.
- The proposed ban will affect all international flights using the three routes above Karachi.
- This development comes a day after a Pakistani minister said the government was considering a complete ban on Indian flights using the country’s airspace.
- The closure comes as tensions are running high between India and Pakistan after New Delhi abrogated a provision in its constitution that provided special status to Kashmir.
- Along with this, a complete ban on the use of Pakistan’s land routes for Indian trade to Afghanistan was suggested in the Cabinet meeting.
- Earlier, Pakistan expelled the Indian high Commissioner to Islamabad Ajay Bisaria and cut off trade links with India as a reaction for the revocation of Article 370.
- The closure of Air routes diverts the flights to take another route to travel. This consume more fuel and also the timing. This may result in increase in the ticket fare.
Pakistan had earlier closed its airspace for some six months after India conducted an air raid on Balakot in Pakistan, after a suicide bomber killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary soldiers in Pulwama in February.
Links to note: