STATUE OF UNITY -8TH WONDER OF SCO
What’s in news?
The 182-meter tall Statue of Unity in Gujarat has been included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s ‘8 Wonders of SCO’ list.
- The inclusion of Statue of Unity in 8 Wonders of SCO means that the organization will now promote the tallest statue among member countries.
- The Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd on December 5, 2019 informed that the tourist inflow at the World`s tallest statue on Narmada river – Statue of Unity outpaced that at the Statue of Liberty in the US.
- The daily average tourist footfall at Statue of Unity during November 2019 reached 15,036, whereas Statue of Liberty attracts around 10,000 daily visitors on average.
- It is noteworthy that the Statue of Liberty in the US is a 133-year old world-famous monument, whereas the Statue of Unity is just 13 months old.
The Statue of Unity:
- The ‘Statue of Unity’, the world’s tallest statue, is a monumental tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, independent India’s first Home Minister as well as Deputy Prime Minister.
- The statue was inaugurated in October 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of Patel’s 143th birthday.
- It is the world`s tallest statue with a height of (597 ft) 182 metres located on a river-facing the Sardar Sarovar Dam on river Narmada in Kevadiya colony.
- It was designed by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar.
- The Statue of Unity is also visible from space.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization:
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is an international organization comprised of eight member countries from eurasia.
- The eight member states of the SCO are India, Pakistan, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzsthan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- Its main goal is to strengthen mutual trust and relations in our region and promote peace, security, and stability.
- The Wonders of SCO include archaeological and historical monuments of SCO. It includes
- Statue of Unity in India
- Daming Palace in China
- Navruz Palace in Tajikistan
- Mughals Heritage in Pakistan
- Tamgaly Gorge in Kazakhstan
- Po-i-Kalan Complex in Uzbekistan
- The Golden Ring of Russia
- Lahore, the Mughals heritage in Pakistan
Links to note: