UPSC: 22ND NATIONAL LEVEL MEETING BETWEEN INDIA AND MYANMAR
On October 26, 2018, the two day 22nd National Level Meeting between India and Myanmar concluded in New Delhi.
1.In the meeting:
- The Indian delegation was led by: Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gaubaand
- The Myanmar delegation was led by: Deputy Minister, Ministry of Home Affairs, Major General Aung Thu.
2.The following was discussed in the meeting:
- Cooperation in preventing smuggling of wildlife and narcotic drugs,
- Cooperation on international border management,
- Action against insurgent groups operating within their territories,
- Construction of subsidiary pillars to better demarcate the border.
Naga rebel outfit NSCN (Khaplang), an insurgent group said to be operating from camps across the border in Myanmar, had killed 18 Army personnel in an ambush in Manipur.
♦ Capital: Naypyidaw.
♦ Currency: Burmese kyat.